On this week’s show we’re chatting with Zeynep Tufekci about how machine learning accelerates the dissemination of crazy s–t, basically. Zeynep’s September TED talk titled “We’re building a dystopia just to make people click on ads” is a must watch and has been doing the rounds on infosec Twitter over the last couple of weeks. She joins us this week to talk through what we might be able to do about the tendency of online platforms to send people down pretty warped rabbit holes. That’s a fascinating chat.
This week’s show is brought to you by Senetas.
Senetas is a Melbourne-based company that develops and manufactures layer 2 encryption gear. They also operate the SureDrop secure file sharing platform and are working on a bunch of cloud crypto tech as well. Julian Fay is CTO over at Senetas and he’s along this week to talk us through the bugs Matthew Green and his colleagues found in a bunch of FIPS-certified gear from Fortinet. It’s a really, really illuminating chat. I love it when Julian’s in the sponsor chair because I always learn a lot.
Links to everything are below, and you can follow Patrick or Adam on Twitter if that’s your thing.
- Infrastructure for the ‘Bad Rabbit’ Ransomware Appears to Have Shut Down - Motherboard
- Global ransomware attacks tiptoed around Russian anti-virus products
- NotPetya ransomware cost Merck more than $310 million
- British security minister says North Korea was behind WannaCry hack on NHS | The Independent
- Worker who snuck NSA malware home had his PC backdoored, Kaspersky says | Ars Technica
- Proud to keep on protecting ' no matter the false allegations in the U.S. media. | Nota Bene: Eugene Kaspersky's Official Blog
- Equifax Was Warned - Motherboard
- China Tests the Limits of Its US Hacking Truce | WIRED
- Google: Chrome is backing away from public key pinning, and here's why | ZDNet
- YubiHSM 2 is here: Providing root of trust for servers and computing devices | Yubico
- Francisco Partners Acquires Comodo's SSL Security Business
- Google's reCaptcha Cracked Again | Threatpost | The first stop for security news
- Unexplained cyberattacks sow chaos among dark web markets
- The Fight Over Jordan Hamlett’s ‘Hack’ of Trump’s Tax Returns
- Facebook, Google, Twitter tell Congress their platforms spread Russian-backed propaganda | Ars Technica
- LSE Business Review – Blockchain and bitcoin: In search of a critique
- A Guide to Attacking Domain Trusts – harmj0y
- Fooling Neural Networks in the Physical World with 3D Adversarial Objects · labsix
- Zeynep Tufekci: We're building a dystopia just to make people click on ads | TED Talk | TED.com
- Attack of the week: DUHK – A Few Thoughts on Cryptographic Engineering
- Senetas - a leading provider of high-assurance encryption